Kit’s Valley Childcare AmeriCorps Program
Three quarter-time or 1200 Service Hours
Compensation: $7,870.50 living allowance over 9 months and an education award of $4,266.50
JOB TITLE: Child Intervention Specialist
Child Intervention Specialist
Members serving in this position will be serving alongside the other child intervention specialists, and under support of the Program Director, to help ensure all the children in their group (i.e. infants, toddlers, and preschoolers) are taken care of and learning.
1) Primary Functions:
- Teaching one-on-one or small group lessons and facilitating learning games and activities
- Conducting student observations and assessments, collecting data and analyzing results
- Setting goals and interventions
- Creating weekly lesson plans and outdoor activities
- Creating age-specific schedules and ensuring they are followed
- Addressing student discipline
- Contacting and communicating with parents as needed
- Diapering/toilet training
- Feeding children throughout the day
- Managing children’s files and documenting progress
2) Secondary Functions:
- Preparing curriculum materials for new units/themes
- Ensuring classroom supplies and materials are organized and properly maintained
- Attending monthly staff meetings
- Timesheet completion
- On-going curriculum training
- National Days of Service
- Must be able to work comfortably in a variety of employment settings.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision and as a member of a team.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with a variety of individuals served, including those with disabilities.
- Must have a flexible availability, including evenings and weekends.
- This offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (reference: NRS 449.174 and Medicaid Services Manual 2100).
- High school diploma or GED. Must be at least 17 years of age and able to pass a criminal background check under agency guidelines and state regulations.
- Experience with/supervising children (ages birth to 6), two years minimum.
- Knowledge of:
- Child development
- Lesson Planning
- Stages of Learning
- Assessment strategies
- Interventions implementation
- Trauma-informed learning preferred
- CDA, NV Apprenticeship Certificate, ECE certificate, or college degree (AS/BS in ECE) preferred but not required.
- All members must wear the FSC AmeriCorps uniform while performing service in the preschool.
- AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements
- (1) Be at least 17 years of age at the commencement of service; or
(2)Have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
(3) Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
(4) disclose all criminal convictions during the application process;
(5) pass a NSOPW;
(6) undergo a National Service Criminal History Check and for it not to report any statutory exclusionary offenses to AmeriCorps service.
Statement of EEO and Inclusion
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The above functions may be completed with or without reasonable accommodations. No persons involved with the program will discriminate based on race, religion, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other classification protected by law.
Statement Prohibiting Supplantation, Replacement, or Displacement of Staff or Volunteers
This position does not duplicate work of previous or existing employees or volunteers, supplant the hiring of workers, or include service or duties that have been performed or were performed by a current employee, an employee who recently resigned or was discharged, an employee subject to a reduction in force, or an employee who is on leave.
This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations.
Orientation and trainings will include:
- CPR and First Aid
- Assessment walk-through and how to evaluate them
- How to score the assessments
- A walk-through of the curriculum
- Trauma informed interventions
- Child Care Registry Trainings (online through NV Registry)
- Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention (2 hours)
- Signs & Symptoms of Illness including Blood-borne Pathogens (2 hours)
- CPR and 1st Aid training (4 hours)
- SIDS training (2 hours)
- Child development/Positive guidance (3 hours)
- Lifelong Wellness (2 hours)
- Prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome (1 hour)
- Building and Physical Premises Safety (2 hours)
- Emergency Preparedness (2 hours)
- Medication Administration and Food Allergies (2 hours)
- Transportation Safety (1 hour)
The above is a summary of the duties and responsibilities of this position. It is not meant to be all inclusive of tasks and responsibilities, thus other related activities or tasks may be assigned during the course of employment.